Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dear La Jolla Planning Commission...

Dear La Jolla Planning Commission,

I can remember as a young child traveling hours to La Jolla sea shores to visit "Children's Pool", or as I liked to call it, "Seal Beach". Since the protection rope has been in place, the seals have continued to come year after year to this cove providing me, and about 100,000 other visitors a month an incredible close up experience with nature. Now, as a San Diego resident, I ask and plead that you reestablish the protection rope at Children's Pool to limit the barbaric actions that people have been partaking in.

This small, 200 foot long beach is the only mainland breeding ground for hundreds of miles in all directions. San Diego has over 70 miles of public beaches, making Children's pool only account for about 25% of ONE of those SEVENTY miles. Since the Harbor Seals are semi aquatic, they need stable grounds to rest on. Since the rope has been removed from the seals protection, La Jolla has become a place I loathe to visit. 

Barking dogs sent to attack the seals, men teaching their children how to chase the seals into and past the cove, abandoned babies, and some even prematurely deceased seals were the scenes that greeted me on my most recent visit in November 2010 to this beach. Anti seal activists line the beach and sidewalks jeering and jesting at any chance they get while the seal activists painfully witness these poor creatures being mistreated. They are calling it a battle between the "children versus the seals" but honestly, give me a break. I do not know a child that would want to see these seals sent away. Children's Pool is one of the only place that seals can be seen and admired in their natural environment. With all the rocks and swift tides created by the viewing wall, this is not even a safe beach to take children swimming in, so why not let it be? 

I am simply asking that the protection rope be instilled year round. We need to learn to respect nature, and teach our children the same. If it is about money, as most things are, think of all the revenue La Jolla will loose if these seals no longer pup at Children's Pool? Seeing the seals has been the ONLY reason why I have even gone to La Jolla over the past twenty years. I promise you that I will not spend a dime within the city limits, nor will I bring my family, until this issue has properly been resolved. 

Respectfully,
Danielle Taylor

(This letter has been sent in to the City of La Jolla, and I will continue to send it in until I get a reply...11/16/2010)


For more information on this please visit Save La Jolla Seals
If ignorance is bliss, than he must be elated!

7 comments:

  1. Does this circus really go on down there every single weekend? I want to go down there but I wonder if I'll just end up feeling sickened by the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, not just every weekend, every DAY. These people have nothing better to do. You should go down there and show some support to the "good" booth, (ha) but I doubt you will want to stay long. And don't be fooled by the plethora of booths set up that all look the same. The anti-seal activists set up booths and act like they are their for the seals, they even sell stuffed seals, but it is clear once you start reading their propaganda where they stand. Go on youtube and watch La Jolla Seals, ton and tons of videos come up. =) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironic that he is anonymous. Don't worry Dani, There will always be people who don't care about nature or animals, or other people for that matter. The rope may have been voted down, but it keeps going to a vote, so obviously it is a fight worth fighting. Stay strong and don't mind idiots trying to intimidate you. Maybe we should call the movers for him/her? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr. Anonymous, I will not tolerate your demeaning sense and I will continue to delete your derogatory comments. This is not youtube. I made this blog for supporters or interested people, not people who are already set in their ways. Thanks for reading though! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to mention that you might want to disable anonymous posts and require your approval. It looks like you did that. I have not seen these anonymous posts you have deleted, but I'm sure you would have considered keeping them if him/her/it actually offered something thoughtful, even if it was in disagreement. Obviously though, it was just another troll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha. Yeah, I could not figure out how to do it at first. Finally did, thank goodness. I don't mind a debate or challenge, but insults do not do well in my book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad that this still is not resolved, I wish people could stop being selfish at least during puping season, but it is officially underway.

    ReplyDelete