Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10/14/10 International Save Japan Dolphins Day

Today, I write with a heavy heart. Tomorrow is the International Save Japan Dolphins Day. If you are unaware about the yearly dolphin slaughter in Taiji, Japan then please follow this link to discover a small synopsis of what is making my heart so heavy. The Cove .

I few nights ago, before I turned in for the night, I sat with my handy recyclable pen in hand and made a list, and not just any list. I made a list that was titled "If I could, I would..." I continued to make this list several pages long, with some bullet points listing several detailed explanations, but the one that lay the heaviest, was ironically the simplest and shortest.



"If I could, I would put an end to "The Cove" in Taiji, Japan."

I ordered a beautiful bracelet from EcoJoia which arrived after only a few anxiously awaited days. It is a beautifully crafted, platinum coated and satin corded bracelet with the words "Save Japan Dolphins". It has been on my left wrist since I eagerly tore the package open at the mailbox, since I couldn't wait long enough to walk back home and use a proper utensil. And there on my wrist it will remain.

When I first saw the movie "The Cove", I was not only brought to blubbering tears, but I was also greatly motivated. I wanted nothing more than to have the money to hop on a red eye flight to Taiji, Japan and stop the injustice myself. However, I live paycheck to paycheck, meaning no paycheck would permit me making this flight unless I skipped out on my lavish need to heat and electricity. So plan B, I did research, and I did, and am still doing, everything I can from my home front in San Diego. Here are the steps I took:

1.) I did ample research before I started running my mouth off to people about it. There is something so true, yet so overlooked in Gandhi's famous quote, "An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching."
2.)I started spreading the word by having my family and friends realize how much I cared about this cause. I asked them if they would watch the movie with me on family nights. Some turned their heads and took the ostriches approach with their heads in the sand, while others became as touched as I was, and am. We must respect those who choose this ostrich approach, as infuriating as it may be. You can't force someone to care.
3.)I donated time and money. I know what your thinking, another monetary donation, another thing sucking my wallet dry. Karma says we must give to receive, so if it is a few dollars, it is more then enough as long as you give it with your whole heart. The cause does not care how "well-off" you are, they care how much YOU care. As for donating time, it can be as simple as picking up trash in a small section of the beach after your family spends a fun filled day under the sun, or can be as elaborate as joining the front lines of ending this bloodshed in Taiji, Japan. Both are just as important.
4.) Now this one is optional, so tailor it to your life. I personally gave up 100% of seafood. No more fish, shrimp, crab, and even Caesar dressing (all too often listing anchovies as the main ingredient). Love your sushi too much? Try cutting back. Anything helps.
5.) And here is where my list of steps takes center stage, educate others about getting educated!

This is where YOU come in, get educated, don't just take my word for it. If I can inspire just one person in this world to care about this injustice, then I know I have done my job. And don't take that the wrong way...my job in this effort will not be over until The Cove in Taiji, Japan no longer bleeds red.

Here are a few links to get your started on your research:
The Cove Movie Website
Take Part-The Cove
Save Japan Dolphins
Follow "Save Japa Dolphins" Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment