Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pancreatic Cancer

It has been a rough few months for me. I have held a very close relationship with my Nana (as I called her) all of my life. I stay the weekend at her house at least once a month, and she even comes down to San Diego to visit me occasionally. I don't know much else for family since my Papa passed away about five years ago. My Nana got sick and went down hill rapidly. She was diagnosed with COPD which is basically a lung problem that many smokers get, yet my Nana never smoked a day in her life, however she was a rock hunter, and a jewelry maker, so she was often around toxic dusts that have shown the test of time on her lungs. She was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This silent disease is curt and unkind. It was a matter of a few months that my Nana needed oxygen and was unable to leave the house to when she took her last breathe. She will always live on in my heart and missing her is something that will take me a while to get used to, especially with the holiday season coming up. I donated some of my inheritance to Pancreatic Cancer research since it is one of the most underfunded cancer research projects. Pancreatic cancer claims the lives of an estimated 44,030 people in 2011 according to SEER Stat Fact Sheet. 75% of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer do not live past the one year mark. That is an astonishing number and honestly, I blame lack of money. Breast cancer used to claim many more lives then it does now, now we have treatment options and prevention methods and early detection methods. There is not one single early detection method for pancreatic cancer. The past ten years we have learned a lot about a lot of different types of cancer, but it is time pancreatic cancer gets a little spot light, and a little funding. If you are interested in learning more, or making a donation in honor of my Nana (or someone else you know effected by pancreatic cancer) please visit the Lustgarten Foundation. I researched the different funds for pancreatic cancer, and the Lustgarten Foundation is the most reputable and beneficial since 100% of the donations they collect goes directly to the cause.

I will always miss and love you Nana. I will always carry part of you with me, where ever I go."I love you, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck."
Virginia Livingston 9/12/1934-10/16/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment